Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Finish Line!

I did it! I can now say that I walked/ran (yes I ran at least a mile of it!) my first 10K! And 10K sounds much more impressive than 6 miles! With a group of 5 good friends in tow, we successfully completed the 32nd annual Cooper River Bridge Run on Saturday, April 2nd (and may I remind you that it was not April Fool's Day and I am not pulling any body's leg).

As many of you know, I do not define myself as athletic or remotely in shape. I don't love going to the gym or jump at the chance to go for a run around the block. My idea of a good time is hanging out on the back porch with friends and a good cocktail in hand. So this bridge run was a huge feat! And honestly I can't say that I trained for months to accomplish it which is even more impressive to me at least. Okay... except if you want to count my one trek across the Lake Murray Dam and back or the countless times I walked Jackson home from school.  So, I can't truly count that as training. Don't get me wrong, I had every intentions of training and the best motives of running all 6 miles. Martin even bought me a tread mill for my birthday. Its just that life got way too busy and way to chaotic to add a 10k to my saucer sized plate of life.

But I did it! And no one can take that away from me. Sure I did it in an hour and 34 minutes and 23 seconds and I came in 26,589 (out of 34,756 finishers), but crossing that finish line was extreme joy and euphoria. Now I know why runners do it and enjoy it. The crowd. The music. The adrenalin rush. The people cheering you on on the side lines. The little kids handing out water. I would do it all over again. Next time I will train though. Because 2 of those miles are calling my running feet and I can do it. I have a true appreciation for runners now. They aren't just fitness fanatics running into the great abyss for no known reason anymore but athletes that are accomplishing their goal. Their Super Bowl. Their World Series. Their Kentucky Derby. Their Final Four.  Okay maybe I am going a little over board, but I did enjoy it and now I see the purpose. The Finish Line! 

Go here to see my official results:
http://results.active.com/pages/oneResult.jsp?pID=103070484&rsID=107388&pubID=3

2 comments:

  1. Good job, Denise! I am very proud of you! Maybe now you will work out with me? Maybe? I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Denise!I have signed up for my first 5k on June 4th. You should try couch to 5k. It really is great.!

    ReplyDelete