Sunday, April 17, 2011

Feeling my age

I am circa 1976. I know that I am not getting any younger and that the big 40 is right around the corner. But I often like to think of myself as a fine wine aging gracefully with each year. And from time to time I like to pretend that I AM 23 again and back in college without a care in the world...listening to the sounds of Widespread Panic and enjoying a cold tall boy. So when Widespread decided to make a pit stop in Columbia last week I got to live out my fantasy or so I thought. They did not fail to deliver...however my dream did!

First of all, there is nothing like standing in the wrist band line with a bunch of newly turned 21 year olds to make you feel old. But if I have newly dyed my grey and I am actually wearing makeup I can attempt to blend in. However, the elderly lady checking IDs last Tuesday thought it would be funny to call me out. All night, she was use to looking for the year 1990 (yes all my friends 1990 is the year you have to be born in to drink!!! can you believe that!!!) so when she came across my 1976 she thought it would be real funny to scream out "You just made it. You just made it!" REALLY...you had to point that out to me and loudly advertise that I am the oldest one standing in the line! I know and am fully aware that if I had been promiscuous at the age of 15 that some of these freshed face babies could have been mine!

Secondly, I love me some WSP! And we try to jump at every chance to see them...only if our schedules align, we can find a babysitter, and we have the funds. I can't say we have consistently toured with them over the years. And I can't say I know every album or song. There were times last night I didn't know the song but those times were few and far between. For the most part they played a lot of songs from my youth and that's when the age thing reared its ugly head again. When songs like Diner and Henry Parsons (my all time favorite) echoed through the auditorium, I found myself the only one dancing in my aisle (by the way, the same aisle I sat in when I saw them for the first time at the Township at 16)....making me wonder do any of these babies know the golden oldies??!!! Then my insightful husband pointed out that Panic is our Allman Brothers...let me explain. When we saw the Allman Brothers for the first time in 1995 they had been together for 25 years, and the freshed faced babies seeing Panic last Tuesday was seeing a band that had been jamming out for over 25 years.

Don't get me wrong I had a blast last night! I shook my old booty until the cows came home. Their set list played to my heart and my age and that's why I love them! Thank you for a wonderful evening JB and friends. You gave me my last hooorahhh before this old body can make baby #3 become a reality!!! We ended it on a good note!

1 comment:

  1. What baby #3 call me this week! We need to catch up.

    ReplyDelete