Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pretty Terrific




Since the day he was born, I knew Jack Jack was pretty terrific. A terrific boy with a great sense of humor and adventure. A terrific boy with an amazing zest for life and a sense of curiosity that constantly keeps you on your toes. A terrific boy who at times is very emotional about his family and his friends. And on most days a terrific boy that is very helpful especially with his little sister.

This week his teacher recognized him as being pretty terrific too. He was chosen to receive the Terrific Kid Award for this month for his 1st grade class. To celebrate his achievement, he had to bring in three of his favorite things to share with the class, have a parent come eat lunch with him, and for another parent to come and read to the class. He was also asked to bring in his favorite music but we both agreed that Guns-n-Roses' "Paradise City" was inappropriate for a first grade classroom. So in lieu of the music, we sent in his favorite snack of Pirate Booty and Toy Story gummies. Well today he sent in his three favorite things.....his life-sized Froggy who he has had since birth (Thanks Aunt Linda!), his favorite drawing of a space alien, and a picture of his favorite place, Washington, DC. Last night when he was collecting his three things, I asked him, "Why these three things?" He replied, "Froggy because he is my best friend and he keeps me safe and he will go to college with me (I will remember to remind him of this when he is 18!), the drawing because I did my best on it, and the picture of our family in front of the Washington Monument because it was the best trip ever!"




Tomorrow, Martin gets the easy part by enjoying a delicious lunch of Sloppy Joes and pizza with 18 first graders (13 boys and 5 girls!). And I will be reading to his class on Friday, which I am looking forward to since I don't get to go into his class very often because of the JOB! I asked him today what did he want me to read? He said, "Skippyjon Jones because it is funny." Now I have the hard part! Have any of you ever read a Skippyjon Jones book? I am not arguing with him about the funny part, it is definitely funny but the language and Spanish accents throughout the book are insane. Enough to turn your brain into guacamole! Wish me luck! I can't complain though....it is all for a pretty terrific boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment